Wednesday, February 8, 2012

#thatsahardteaching

I'm listening to the sermon from 2 weeks ago.

We're in the middle of series called #thatsahardteaching. Now that is actually pronouced "Pound - That's a hard teaching" instead of hashtag, because the pastor (ok, he's my dad) likes the emphasis of the word "POUND". :-) It's been a really great series, we've been going through the beautitudes. But 2 weeks ago, he felt called to switch the sermon on Sunday morning. The sermon was ... get ready for it ... women pastors.

GASP!

I don't know about you, but growing up as a Mennonite who didn't agree with women as pastors, this was a highly uncomfortable sermon for me to listen to. And I knew where he was going with it, and I don't disagree with him, but it was and is still slightly uncomfortable. The only thing I can say is that it's hard to undo what you've grown up with. But what I appreciate the most is the constant question he asks: "What does the Bible say about what the Bible says?" - and I'm challenged again to back up why I believe what I believe. This year I've been refreshed and blessed with a new hunger and thirst to read the Word. I started a "read-it-in-one-year" reading plan on the 2nd of January (I'm a rebel like that) and I'm enjoying it so much more than I expected. Even before this sermon I've been experiencing the exciting discomfort that comes from growth - seeing pride in places I didn't want to admit I was keeping it. Seeing a condescending, judgemental attitude I didn't want to admit I harbored. Seeing my insecurity for what it is - lack of faith and trust in God and his Word.

I'm not going to argue for or against women in leadership/women pastoring. If you want to hear the sermon I'm listening to, go to www.vineyardrichmond.com and select "sermons". Launch the sermon player, and play the sermon titled "#yourenotthebossofme". I hope that I keep bumping into uncomfortable, stretching teachings as I grow. My favorite line from the sermon this past week was "If you want to be comfortable, Jesus isn't for you". I'm done with comfortable. I want to be moved. I want to see greater things.

No comments: